I think this video makes a good case for the need to take advantage of the opportunities of the read/write digital revolution. We can't be broadcasters, presenting one-side-fits-all information to a passive and captive audience. If we truly want a student-directed educational experience, we have to give students the tools to shape the course, not just their responses to that course.
Suzanne,
ReplyDeleteThis is a terrific video and I'm glad you shared it. I have two questions. First, the discussion in the video is aimed at our elementary and secondary school systems. Now that we at the community college level have received the products of that system, how do we help them recover? Is it too late? Second, I just made a similar statement about the difficulties of having students direct their experience in a classroom setting. How do we resolve the conflict between having student learning outcomes that the student must master, and the desire to have students direct their own learning?
I'm really not sure how to reconcile self-directed learning with predetermined learning outcomes. It's certainly one of the frustrations I have with discussing any sort of educational reform. We only have so much latitude in a system that is still largely based on scores and measurements. And that mindset is still VERY much a part of K-12, which makes it all the harder for us to then try to present learning as a challenge and a joy, rather than a task to get through.
ReplyDeleteIt's just as fun to watch Sir Ken on stage giving this talk a TED. "Frank sent this." hahahhaha
ReplyDeleteI know it's not too late at college time, for that's when so many people come out of their shell for the first time in a new more open learning environment. It worked that way for me.
Save for the Rockerfellers, you're always working for someone or some system that measures you, be you a wage slave or a business owner. While a school environment, laced with opportunity and luck, can create that place where individual desires and talents are nurtured, everyone will be tested by the World, and will have to find their own strength and creativity. Can we help heal by being real?